Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 26 inch Tundra Tires versus 29 inch

Default Re: 26 inch Tundra Tires versus 29 inch

You can give Burl a call. He's the only option when it comes to a custom calibration. But I'd be cautious about introducing significantly more compliance into the suspension system. You want to be sure that it still works when you're heavy and you really hammer it into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by pwill435 View Post
    Thanks John. My CC is no 167 built 2011 so probably has the soft AOSS. I will put a camera under there and see how much deflection we get. If I do want to soften the AOSS, is that a job I or my LAME could do?
    That vintage of CC will have the latest/current version of the AOSS. I believe it was well before that they were tuning them up.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Would appreciate some opinions on tire pressures for 26inch Tundras with AOSS suspension on different surface conditions. I suspect mysoft tires are preventing the AOSS from contributing very much. I have tried pressures from 5psi to 12psi but it is hard to discern what happens down there. I would like more action from the AOSS as this would have less rebound than the tires. Also wondering about softening the AOSS, is that possible?
    I found if one has a dirty hangar floor (dust etc)the footprint of the tire is clearly shown on the floor.The difference between 5psi and 12 psi is quite remarkable.Try it.Regards,ronmac.

Thanks John. My CC is no 167 built 2011 so probably has the soft AOSS. I will put a camera under there and see how much deflection we get. If I do want to soften the AOSS, is that a job I or my LAME could do?
    I just took delivery of CC EX Kit and have the bungee gear. I asked Mitch Travis what he thought about the AOSS and he basically said he would not flip for the difference (paraphrased Mitch). However, he did say he would swap it out if I preferred.
    I have the 29's. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by richphil View Post
    I just took delivery of CC EX Kit and have the bungee gear. I asked Mitch Travis what he thought about the AOSS and he basically said he would not flip for the difference (paraphrased Mitch). However, he did say he would swap it out if I preferred.
    I have the 29's. What are your thoughts?
    Rich,
    I posted a message in your inbox.

As far as which will work better really depends on your mission and the environment you will be doing most of your flying. Remember, everything you add also adds weight and expense. Light is better.

Tony

I have sport cub s/n 64. I have never noticed a problem with the AOSS, I really love it. I use the plane for training and it has served me well. So do I have the "stiff" version?

I put 26" tires on this spring. They were used and showed some wear. Sunday I saw cord. So about 100 landings - a handful on sand and a handful on pavement, the majority on grass. So I think they might have been more "used" that advertised. How long have your 26" lasted? It would be nice to get some comparisons.

When I added the 26" tires I noticed that the tires do most of the landing absorption, not the AOSS. It is not a problem and actually makes landing easier.

Does anyone have the 26" Goodyears? are they legal on the sport cub?
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

From the current rev (REV G 01-31-2011) of the CC11-100 AMM (Section 5.4.7, Page 2) (http://www.cubcrafters.com/pdfs/sc/cc11-100amm.pdf)

"The main wheels are of aluminum construction and are designed to be used with tires and tubes. The approved tire sizes are 6.00 x 6, 8.00 x 6, 8.50 x 6, 26” LSA Tundra, and 29” LSA Tundra."
    On pavement the wear can be slowed down a lot by keeping them inflated toward the upper end of the pressure range. 90% of the wear is not in the center but 2 or 3 inches off of the centerline. The lower the pressure, the more of the tire in contact with the ground. Taxi, especially turns scrub the tire against the pavement.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

I have about 225 landings on my 26's, 1/2 pavement. No cords showing yet.
    Rich

Hi Diana, I am running 26 inch Bushwheels on both my prior Sport Cub #53 and now My Carbon Cub #107. I learned the hard way with the Bushwheels the key to longevity is 1) staying off taracc as much and possible 2) as few turns on tramac as posiible and 3) definately NO BRAKING TURNS! I had no idea how soft they were and went though my first set in less than 6 months doing all the above, THAT was an expensive lesson. I now have over three years and 500 plus hours on my second set just following the above rules. Makes a huge difference in longevity. I also had the earlier AOSS and sent it back to Burl to recalibrate it and definatley notice the difference with much better action. Before recalibration there was less than 1/4 inch movement on the struts. Along the lines with other comments while I love the AOSS and think it looks better, I am not totally convinced how much difference there is between the bungees and AOSS on 26 or 29 inch tires. Seems most of the energy ( unless you are truly banging the plane in consistently on landing) is being absorbed by the tires and I have flown both set ups. Hope that helps Best Gary