Thread: looking for info on skis and oil cooler mods for cold weather

Default looking for info on skis and oil cooler mods for cold weather

howdy fellow cubheads, I am looking for info on skis for a carbon cub and also oil cooler mods, covers, or whatever anyone else has tried for cold weather other than tape. anyone out there skiing or trying to keep there oil hot please share. Regards Royce

Default Re: looking for info on skis and oil cooler mods for cold weather

Hi Royce,

I installed a vernatherm I bought from Cub Crafters for the O-340. When we had temperatures in the 70's still, my oil temp would stabilize at 175º. I didn't have it installed during the heat of the summer. Now that we're cold I see a very stable 165º. A few days ago I was flying in temps in the teens and the oil temperature never wavered from 165º. And a lot of that flying was at low power settings.

I have no tape over the oil cooler. If it is cold and the vernatherm stays closed tape has no effect. If it is warm enough that the vernatherm is opening at times then the tape is going to slow down the oil temperature drop rate until the vernatherm closes again. So I don't see any need or reason to go with tape if a vernatherm is in use.

There was another thread on the vernatherm/oil cooler subject a while ago. And in the EX forum I've got a tip on a portable pre-heater that I've tried.

Default Re: looking for info on skis and oil cooler mods for cold weather

Hi Royce, I purchased some skis from Trick Air in WI. You can google them and get their info. I have not installed them yet as we don't have snow on the ground yet (MN). They have sold a couple sets for the Carbon Cub. J R Spalj