Thread: Gross weight increase

Default Gross weight increase

Ok now that I have your attention

Would Wipaire gross weight increase work on the Carbon Cub EX? Or would there be another way to increase the Gross?
    Thanks guys.

Default Re: Gross weight increase

The parts that are re-enforced in a Super Cub by the Wip-air gross weight increase STC are different in the Carbon Cub EX. The Wip parts wouldn't fit physically.

As far as other ways...I'll let someone else speak on that one :-)

Pete D.

Thanks Pete

Question Gross weight increase

Greetings, folks-

New poster here. I'm interested in whether I could increase GW on the EX2 model to reflect that of the Top Cub.

Some background: I currently own/fly a Beech Sierra, but have been bitten by the Cub bug after recently getting my float rating in Super Cubs up in Moose Pass, AK. I enjoy working on anything mechanical, and have thought about building a plane for decades. Stars are aligning and I anticipate ordering a kit in the next twelve months. Still deciding on manufacturer, although am fairly certain that it will be a Super Cub variant.

Thanks,

Johnny
    Greenville, ME and Kent Island, MD

Hi Johnny,

Was great to meet you at Greenville! Compare empty weights to gross weights between TOP CUB and Carbon Cub and the useful loads are darn close! I received your email...we'll definitely talk.

Thanks!

Thanks, Clay.

My desire would be to slightly beef up and slightly modify the EX2 fuselage and wing, which will result in a heavier empty weight, hence the desire for increased gross...
    Essentially, I'd like an EX2 build that emulates the functional strength of the Top Cub.

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    Hi Johnny,

Was great to meet you at Greenville! Compare empty weights to gross weights between TOP CUB and Carbon Cub and the useful loads are darn close! I received your email...we'll definitely talk.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR. View Post
    My desire would be to slightly beef up and slightly modify the EX2 fuselage and wing, which will result in a heavier empty weight, hence the desire for increased gross...
    Essentially, I'd like an EX2 build that emulates the functional strength of the Top Cub.

Johnny
    Johnny,

Unless you have engineering software that can simulate the loads there's no possible way to know where to beef anything up. The way a fuselage or wings distribute and carry loads is complicated, FEA (finite element analysis) is used to predict load paths and failures, but in proper aircraft design this is also verified with actual testing.

Also something you may not have considered... an EX-2 will be approximately 300 lbs lighter than a Top Cub so that makes their respective useful loads closer that you may have realized.
    Randy Lervold

Thanks, Randy. I'm learning!
    I'll talk to your folks at the factory about a few minor things on the frame, then...
    Regards,
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Johnny,

Unless you have engineering software that can simulate the loads there's no possible way to know where to beef anything up. The way a fuselage or wings distribute and carry loads is complicated, FEA (finite element analysis) is used to predict load paths and failures, but in proper aircraft design this is also verified with actual testing.

Also something you may not have considered... an EX-2 will be approximately 300 lbs lighter than a Top Cub so that makes their respective useful loads closer that you may have realized.