Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Kit Mods

Default Re: Kit Mods

Dan, your posts and pictures are much appreciated. You have provided several hints and observations that has and will save me lots of time and frustration on my build.

That's what this forum is all about.

Thanks!!!!!!

Hi Tony, glad to hear that some of my posts have helped and I agree, a forum like this can and should be very helpful to builders.

I finished all my spraying last week.

DSCN1876.jpg

It takes a lot of work to mask off for painting trim the old fashioned way. And tricky to tape the door handle recess and keep the lines straight.

DSCN1880.jpg

The composite and aluminum parts are painted with Aerothane and I flattened it per the Poly Fiber manual to match the Poly Tone semi-gloss finish. The red was left full gloss.

DSCN1881.jpg

I like this traditional Super Cub paint scheme.

DSCN1886.jpg

The Super Cubs had a bullet-shaped end to the paint stripe on the cowl. With the cylinder head bumps molded into the Carbon Cub cowl I made a slight change to the end of the stripes to follow the contour of the cowl.

DSCN1878.jpg

And I kept the same radius at the end of the lower stripe. My extended baggage door can be seen here too.

Interior panels and windows are next.

It is nice to be able to see the end of the tunnel coming up. For those that are interested in build times I've got about 690 hours into the project to this point.

30jun11 added images below:

DSCN1887.jpg

A view of my extended baggage. I didn't cover the triangles like the factory planes. The white divider at the top is a piece of the same white Kydex I used in the ext. baggage side panels. And I added a fishing rod tube from Kydex too.

DSCN1891.jpg

Looking more like a finished airplane.
    Last edited by Dan L; 06-30-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added images

Dan, very nice adaptation of the classis Super Cub scheme. Your work is phenomenal, thank you so much for taking the time to share it with the builder community! It is very helpful both in terms of showing what the plane is like to build, but also as an example of the sort of flexibility building your own plane allows in terms of building in your own customizations.

Keep up the good work!
    Randy Lervold

Dan,
    This is EXCELLENT!!!!!

I really like how the red color accents the cowling, both on the top, and how you adapted the stripe on the sides. I've got a buddy with a '73 super cub that is replacing the fabric, and repainting back to original, so I know you must have been a little reluctant to change - let me say you did it justice with the curves. It looks great!

What I really like is the horse blanket treatment to the door entry area Seriously, that would make a wonderful seat cover.

Tony

Not too much completed last week although I did get the windshield installed and side windows. I found out I really dislike Trix nuts. About 1/3 of them spun in my boot cowl and I ended up putting a nut on the screw. I've used other types of rivet nuts and not had the problems I had with Trix nuts. For the top of the windshield I used rivnuts I had on hand.

DSCN1893.jpg

To stiffen the side flex on the D windows I put three o-rings over the aluminum cone between the fuselage and window and white caulk on the outside.

DSCN1896.jpg

Looking from the top down at the o-rings on the flap hinge cone.

DSCN1895.jpg

White caulk around the outside of the cone to seal and secure it. (Still have the protective paper on the outside of the windows.)

8 July 11 added the images below:

DSCN1894.jpg

The Artex ELT is installed and I ran an extra 2-pair wire from the GPS in anticipation of installing Artex's new GPS position code dongle (ME-232 Nav Interface 455-6800) to the ELT when it becomes available.

With the elimination of the rear controls there is just a single control cable running from the rudder to the front pedals. The fairlead in the image was added to keep the cable running along side of the interior panel. I weighed the rear parts I didn't use, including the throttle, and they weighed 4.0 pounds.

DSCN1908.jpg

The rear stabs are attached and rigged now. Fitting up the cover plates in this image.
    Last edited by Dan L; 07-08-2011 at 06:55 AM. Reason: added images

I like the flap cone idea there! I have been trying to figure out a way to seal that area up for a while now, looks like you are going in a good direction.

Pete D.

The day came that I could do no more at my home shop and so it was time to move the fuselage to the hangar:

DSCN1909.jpg

Loading it on the trailer with my son's help.

DSCN1910.jpg

And off the trailer into the hangar. I was relieved to roll it off safely into the hangar. It is just two miles from home to hangar but it seemed much longer at 10 mph.

DSCN1915.jpg

My shop door at home is 10' wide and that's not enough the clear elevators so they're on for good now in the hangar. My Landes skis hang in the corner waiting for the snow to come and the Carbon Cub completion.

I should get wings on this week....

Dan

That is a nice looking Carbon Cub EX. I love the paint job.

Mitch

I can't wait to see it all together Dan! I love the paint job!

It has been a busy week and we got a lot accomplished:

DSCN1918.jpg

The wings are on in this image. Two of my sons helped along with my A&P buddy Bill with me on the right.

DSCN1920.jpg

Rigging the wings with a smart level; checking washout here.

DSCN1923.jpg

Flaps & ailerons in place and rigged.

DSCN1926.jpg

With everything bolted on it was time to weigh it.

DSCN1925.jpg

The the total weight is: 953 pounds with 47 pounds on the tail in the elevated position. That includes the extended range tanks, my extended baggage all instruments and radios, halon fire extinguisher, Dodge long step on the right gear leg and a few more things like that. I figure that with the 31" Alaska Bushwheels I have and the Baby Bushwheel that will soon be on the tail I'll be about 1010 pounds.

I've been in contact with the DAR. I'm not quite ready for him yet as I need to run the engine and take care of a few incidentals but we're close.