Thread: Garmin Auto-Pilot is coming on by itself?

Question Garmin Auto-Pilot is coming on by itself?

I have a 1 year old EX-3. It has a Garmin Glass Panel. About 6 flights ago I was on approach and the auto-pilot came on by itself. I disconnected it with the disengage/engage button on my stick. The auto-pilot proceeded to re-engage about 5 more times before I landed. I then talked to my CFI who looked it all over, went through an AP check, then we flew together and everything seemed fine. I then flew about 6 more flights that were uneventful until my last flight. Again my AP engaged by itself. This time I pulled the servo breaker and continued my flight. After I refueled I then reset the servo breaker and started my engine to taxi back to my hanger. Once again the AP engaged during taxi.

If anyone has ever seen anything like this I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks for any help,

ColoradoCub

Question Re: Garmin Auto-Pilot is coming on by itself?

What mode was the autopilot in when it activated? I wonder if it was some sensor noise triggering the Electronic Stability Protection (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/av...rotection-esp/)?

Default Re: Garmin Auto-Pilot is coming on by itself?

Hi Shane,

Can you provide some more info on the airplane? Serial number/builder name? Do you know if it was an aftermarket panel & wiring harness or did the builder buy a panel kit from CC?

My first guess would be possibly something related to a chafed wire in the CWS/AP disconnect switch wiring.

If you contact us at support@cubcrafters.com I'll see it a little quicker than the forum here.

Also, Garmin has good support available via g3xpert@garmin.com
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Default Re: Garmin Auto-Pilot is coming on by itself?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCub View Post
    If anyone has ever seen anything like this I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks for any help
    When I flew the CubCrafters demo FX-3 and was returning to Yakima I called tower. No reply from tower but the aircraft abruptly turned right. A quick exchange with Brad who was in back confirmed he had not taken the controls.

I found out that a pressing the AP button just long enough to call tower would engage the autopilot.

Have you been accidentally pressing AP disc instead of push to talk? Do you have an intermittent short on the PTT line?

What does the data log show for these unexpected AP engagements. The active modes on engagement may provide a clue.