Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sky-tec failure

Default Sky-tec failure. 2019 FX3

My Sky-tec just failed. Just 220 hours. Checking to see if anyone else has had/heard of the problem.

Default Re: Sky-tec failure. 2019 FX3

Quote Originally Posted by KCKS View Post
    My Sky-tec just failed. Just 220 hours. Checking to see if anyone else has had/heard of the problem.
    Some less than flattering reviews here -
    https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...ghlight=skytec

No problem myself. What is the failure mode?

Default Re: Sky-tec failure. 2019 FX3

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Some less than flattering reviews here -
    https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...ghlight=skytec

No problem myself. What is the failure mode?

It started with the prop not turning more than a quarter turn and then stopping. I'd release the starter switch and try again and it would fire. I thought it was a low battery. Then last week it wouldn't start at the gas pump. I replaced the battery, same problem. A single click and then nothing. It's probably the solenoid. I found similar threads on a Vans site to the one that you posted from supercub. Some of them say they think it's a temperature issue. I've got a solenoid and a starter on order. I hope it's the cheaper of the two options that provides the fix.

Default Re: Sky-tec failure

Same problem with my EX-3 starter. Just 35 hrs. on it, but has had the issue since day one. Never has occurred on a cold start, only hot. Pretty sure it’s not a solenoid or battery issue, both seem healthy. Pete indicated Hartzell is aware of it, and are hopefully working toward a July timeframe fix. Tom

Suggest swapping out the Odyssey battery for an EarthX battery, with 50% more cranking power, which also affects the solenoid (kicks it into activity).
    I have done that on my planes, and some of my customers planes, and we realized the starter was not bad after all.

You also save close to 10 lbs.

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Suggest swapping out the Odyssey battery for an EarthX battery, with 50% more cranking power, which also affects the solenoid (kicks it into activity).
    I have done that on my planes, and some of my customers planes, and we realized the starter was not bad after all.

You also save close to 10 lbs.

Some time ago CubCrafters posted on this forum that they would not approve the EarthX battery until the engineering had been completed (or similar words to the same effect).

Does CubCrafters intend to issue a service bulletin detailing how this battery change should be done to meet their engineering standards.

I assume that, at a minimum, the change will require changes to G3X voltage scale color bands and alert levels. There may also be a need to add a new warning light or a new input to the GEA 24, or both.

Possibly for CC a certified thing. For EAB, some of us have run nothing but EarthX with any issues. And lose 10lbs

Engineering standards? Or voltage/amp/charge/discharge requirements for acceptable systems operation?

I don't know about Garmin, but it's easy to change alarm levels for anything (temps, pressures, volts/amps,..) Dynon wise. I suspect it's just as easy with Garmin.

Blaine, let us know what you find out.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 05-27-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    I suspect it's just as easy with Garmin.

Yes, easy enough to change the color bands and the alert levels on G3X. Running a new wire to the GEA 24 is harder but not impossible. I'm almost out of spare GEA 24 inputs so I'd probably just use the warning light.

I don't think I need technical support to do the battery change but I would like to know if/when CC will issue a service bulletin. I'm curious to know what, if any, system changes CC engineering decided were required.

edit to add - I think an AFM supplement would be necessary to warn that the main battery cannot be used to run ignition in the same way as the AGM battery after an alternator failure.
    Last edited by Andy; 05-27-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Thread drift, but with all the previous discussions here and on other EAB aircraft forums, I suspect it may be a reputation, or $$'s, or vendor contract thing with CC's.

But this is just a SWAG.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Dont know if a Service Bulletin will, or needs to be issued, but CubCrafters has begun offering the EarthX Lithium Phosphate (not Lithium Ion) battery as an option on all their planes since Nov 2, 2021.
    Last edited by Rick Bosshardt; 05-27-2022 at 03:27 PM.

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com