Thread: Experimental N27xxx taking off

Default Experimental N27xxx taking off

So the other day...i had flight following as soon as I took off and was climbing...and then gave them my call sign...."Experimental N27xxx"...and ATC then asks..'are you an RV 7 or 10?" I guess he must have been impressed with my VSI :-)

This plane is so fun!

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Re: Experimental N27xxx taking off

A couple of years ago I was leaving Amarillo TX...I was eastbound, and there was a really nice tail wind at 11000 feet...so I reared back and climbed as hard as it would. The controller asked: "what kind of a Cub is that?" I told him (briefly) the story of a Carbon Cub. He told me that I was climbing faster than any cub he had ever seen.

When I reached the edge of his airspace he called out: "Super Duper Cub N3YC...frequency change approved."

Jim

Super Moderator

About a month ago in an XCub I was about three miles out and the tower asked me to expedite for a jet on a 10 mile final. pushed it up to 160+ IAS on an extended right base, dumped all the speed skidding around the corner onto less than a quarter mile final and then three pointed with the stall warning horn blaring and made the first runway turnoff.

Tower asked if that was really a Cub.

Fun stuff!
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313

Be advised, however, that in an XCub you must slow to VNE before executing the manuever Brad describes.