Thread: New member of the Carbon Cub Community with some questions

Default New member of the Carbon Cub Community with some questions

Hello everyone,

My name is Jimmy Elza. I am new to this forum. I just placed a deposit on a new Carbon Cub a few weeks ago. I went for a ride with David Morris. I was hooked. What an awesome airplane! I also fly a Piper Mirage. I am an aviation nut probably like most of you guys. I just wanted to introduce myself. I do not have any tailwheel time as of now. I can't wait to learn how to fly a tailwheel airplane with the capabilities of the Carbon Cub. I should be getting my airplane mid November. I am planning on going to the factory and bringing the Cub home. I am going to try and do about ten hours of tailwheel training before I head out to the great northwest. I would like to take this opportunity to thank David, Chip Allen, and Nathan Hammond. All of these guys have been very helpful in whole process.

My airplane is coming with the G3X panel and autopilot. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of the ADS-B stuff until I started researching this package. I am not one bit concerned about the 2020 mandate. I am concerned about traffic. Does the GTX 23ES with the latest software provide ADS-B out for traffic purposes without an approved navigational device such as the GTN 650? I am not talking about TIS-A services provided in congested terminal areas. I am talking about TIS-B services that will provide traffic to any ADS-B in receiver anytime it is within line of sight of a ground based ADS-B station. Confused yet? I am. Maybe I am way off base. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this can chime in.

Thanks and I look forward to meeting more members of this community,

Jimmy Elza

Default Re: New member of the Carbon Cub Community with some questions

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyelza View Post
    I am not one bit concerned about the 2020 mandate. I am concerned about traffic. Does the GTX 23ES with the latest software provide ADS-B out for traffic purposes without an approved navigational device such as the GTN 650? I am not talking about TIS-A services provided in congested terminal areas. I am talking about TIS-B services that will provide traffic to any ADS-B in receiver anytime it is within line of sight of a ground based ADS-B station. Confused yet?
    Yes, at least until 2020 the current GTX 23ES installation with a VFR GPS (provided by the G3X Touch) will wake up the ADS-B towers and transmit traffic data.

Garmin recently introduced the GPS 20A ($1225 with antenna), which is likely needed after 2020. "G3X and G3X Touch customers who have incorporated the GTX 23ES Mode S transponder or a GTX 330ES transponder in their EAB/LSA aircraft, can easily install the GPS 20A by connecting a single RS-232 interface to provide Garmin ADS-B data to the transponder to make their system ADS-B Out compliant. The GPS 20A communicates with all installed G3X and G3X Touch displays to provide a source of high quality WAAS GPS data to the system. Simple LED indicators on the GPS 20A provide both GPS and CAN bus status information, which makes your installation checkout a cinch. "
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch

Thanks Marcus. I have used cirrusreports for years. I appreciate that service as well.

Welcome Jimmy.
    If you're like me, flying your Carbon Cub will be the most fun you've ever had flying. All my time, prior to my CCEX was nose-wheel. I had the advantage of some excellent tailwheel instructors at Chandler Air Services in Arizona and it's true you're not done flying your tail dragger until its parked in the hanger. Since finishing my build and testing my plane in January of this year I've put on close to 150 hours and can't say enough about this great aircraft.
    Look forward to meeting you sometime.

Paul

CCEX - 1865
    224Y