Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cub 617MR

Default Re: Cub 617MR

Quote Originally Posted by twoeleven View Post
    Congratulations! Well deserved, beautiful plane!!!

Does the statue fit on the glare shield? I'd mount it up there for sure...

Larry.
    Thanks Larry! If I mounted it in the airplane I wouldn't be able to sleep with it every night!!

The EX keeps impressing me. This takeoff was out of rough pasture with two people and 6000 density altitude. About three second ground roll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH1G9uDGSyU

Hey guys, most of you probably know but I sold my CC a few weeks ago! I had a great summer with my sons and the airplane that will last a lifetime. However, I am a builder and a seller! I was planning on starting an EX2 ASAP but now that it's sold I need to let the dust settle for a while.

A great guy in MN bought her and I'm sure he will be checking on the forum shortly.

Don't worry, I'm going to stick around until I start the next one!!

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    I used an Astro rivnut tool.
    I could not find this particular model but did end getting a Marson Rivnut Tool and then getting a nose piece and mandrel for the 6-32 size. In reading the manual, the 6-32 is the size used on the windshield. I got it all from Blind Rivet Supply Company online. Was around $55 with the tool and nose piece/mandrel. The tool itself came with 4 mandrels but they start with the size 8 so had to order the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    I could not find this particular model but did end getting a Marson Rivnut Tool and then getting a nose piece and mandrel for the 6-32 size. In reading the manual, the 6-32 is the size used on the windshield. I got it all from Blind Rivet Supply Company online. Was around $55 with the tool and nose piece/mandrel. The tool itself came with 4 mandrels but they start with the size 8 so had to order the other one.

You are right Dave. It came with the 8-32. My buddy owns a machine shop so we turned one down to the 6-32 size. I should have mentioned that!

Mike

I moved the fuselage out to the airport last week and brought home the fist wing. I got it covered and stitched in three days, now on too tapes. It looks great other than the two rows of battleship rivets under the gas tanks!!😜
    I'm getting ready to move mine out to the airport and trying to decide whether to put the tail feathers on first or later. Would rather do them in my garage first but I was a little concerned about the width with them on but looks fine on the your trailer here. Seems like it would be over 9' in width. Did you have any problems with that (or anything else for that matter) in trailering it over to the airport? Thanks

Dave,

I'm glad I did it at home. I had the fuselage, engine and avionics complete when it left home. The more you can do there the better IMO. No problem hauling it other than finding a wide enough trailer! Measure that gear, the first one I brought home would fit!

I am only three miles from the airport and on back roads so with another flasher vehicle it was no problem. Wouldn't want to haul it down the interstate like that!!!

Mike

Dave,

I'm glad I did it at home. I had the fuselage, engine and avionics complete when it left home. The more you can do there the better IMO. No problem hauling it other than finding a wide enough trailer! Measure that gear, the first one I brought home would fit!

I am only three miles from the airport and on back roads so with another flasher vehicle it was no problem. Wouldn't want to haul it down the interstate like that!!!

Mike
    Thanks. I really do want to do as much here as I can. I did find a trailer that will work but was just a little worried about that width. I have almost 20 mile to go but it is on good, wide back roads. Hand't thought about a flasher car but that's a good idea. Thanks again. I'll keep my baby at home a bit longer.

I got the front windshield installed today. It was a full eight hour job for me. It went very well. Only thing I did different from the manual was that I used the side window strips as a template to drill the holes where the well nuts go through the windshield. The manual say to just mark the center and drill, if you clamp the strips on and make your starter holes they come out perfect. The other thing I remembered is much I hate trix nuts!! Always have a few that will give you problems!!
    Finished my windshield install yesterday. The trix nuts went quite well......almost.......

Got them all fitted using the "G" size drill. They all were VERY tight going in so locked in good when compressed. I partially screwed them all in and set the windshield in place, tightened the side trim pieces with the wellnuts in place...no problem. But then when I went to completely tighten all the screws the final time (after removing the red tape strip), 2 of them got "hard" while screwing them in for some reason. They would go a couple of turns in and then get hard to screw, like there was a burr or something. Now 1 did spin out a little (if you try and continue screwing after it hits the HARD spot) and the other just won't screw in at all for some reason.

I can't think of any other fix other than to take the windshield trim piece off and start over by drilling out those 2 trix nuts unless anyone has any other suggestions. Strange they worked until the final tight down.

Dave:

I would NOT remove the windshield and redo a couple of recalcitrant trix nuts.

Perhaps you can undo the two screws and see if there is an obvious problem. Otherwise if only one or two are causing problems, have a helper hold the trix nut on the bottom side with a vise grip and tighten the screw on the top. Just snug. Not reason to over tighten. Realistically that windshield wont be removed for many many years and that fact that one or two trix nuts are spinning wont really matter once tightened down.

Chuck