Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cub 617MR

Smile Cub 617MR

I fit my cowl over the last few days. The factory makes it look so easy on the videos. I was pleasantly surprised when I started the fit. The holes for the bottom intake cover were predrilled and there was almost no trimming or sanding involved. It fit almost perfect from the start.

The oil door was a little more difficult. The factory started the trim in the top of the cowl. Didn't seem like a big deal at first but had to fit the hinge to the cowl first then to the door second. Opposit of the directions and video.

The fit of the cowl to the boot was nerve racking. The cost of failure is pretty high I'm guessing! My first trim was 1/2" and that was a little to much. If I had to do it again I would have done 3/8". It didn't fit as well as I wanted it to and I'm still not sure why. I obviously didn't have it lined up close enough. It is tough to keep it in the right place for that first cut. another nice surprise was that the front hole was cut to the final size by the factory. I wasn't expecting that.

I took extra time for the second cut and it paid off. I ended up with just under 3/8" spacing and my gap turned out very nice. It's nice to have that part of the project over. I really don't like that carbon fiber dust!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Cub 617MR

It looks like it came together nicely. I though the boot cowl and fitting it to the panel and fuselage with a tight fit was one of the more difficult jobs.

The new style cowl though is simpler than the old style and if that center prop hole was already cut, quicker in that regard too.

You just need to attach the wings and tail feathers and you're ready to fly
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Did you take the airs scoops off the top of the cowl? I am interested in doing the same, but I have no cf or fiberglass experience.
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

Dan,

I must be getting close because it is much easier to find parts. Only have to go through about three boxes now to find something!

Greg,

The scoops are still there, they are just covered up with the paper to protect them. I would talk to CC before you take them off. I would bet they are there for a reason.

Mike

Looks great!

A little off topic, but seeing it on you sloping driveway gives me the Heebie Jeebies!

Years ago our kids neighborhood playmates put their mom's minivan out of gear on a sloping drive way. Somehow it rolled down the driveway, across the road up to the roof into our neighborhood pond! Kids were all OK thankfully.

I'd have it tied off to my truck...

Jim Morrical

Jim,

Down hill driveway is not all bad, once I get my wings on it will help shorten my takeoff distance!!

I put the side panels in again, right side will have to come off to get the door on but it's nice to have it out of the parts shelf. I would definitely recommend fitting them before you cover the airplane. Makes final install much easier. You can see where the holes go, don't get filings between the tubes and fabric and you don't risk drilling through the fabric! I was also very happy with the 3m Velcro. It holds ithe panels very secure and it's great to have them removable.

Mike

Wow! That is looking absolutely fantastic!
    Max Platts
    Builder Assist Program Coordinator
    CubCrafters

Nice.

I made a few small modifications to the boot cowl. Where it calls for tinnermans I put in nut plates so I could use machine screws. The main reason being that when you use the tinnermans the surface you are sealing to won't sit flush. I started with the ELT antenna first before the boot cowl was on the airplane. You get a much cleaner look and by the time you grind out the metal to make the tinnerman fit you can put nut plates in. For the front fuel line cover I had planned to go with the tinnermans but when I put the cover on the other day I did not like the fact that it didn't fit flush to the boot cowl. I was afraid all that engine oil over the years would make it in the gap. I decided to put nut plates in after the fact with the boot cowl installed. It was aproximately ten times as much work than if I would have done it in the first place but I'm glad I did it.

Very Nice!
    Jake
    Finished CCEX N96FV!