Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cap Strip Installation Rib #5

Default Re: Cap Strip Installation Rib #5

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Rib caps #1 and #3

About two years ago I wrote up the following tips on rib caps 1 and 3, but never posted it on this forum. So I will do so now in case it will be of any value.

1. Locating the cap on rib #1 is no problem since the aft end is pushed all the way aft. But the cap on rib #3 [extended fuel] does not have an obvious alignment point. So where should it be located?

Both rib caps are pre drilled for the nut plates. I wanted the nut plates on the two rib caps to line up, left to right. Run a straight edge from corresponding nut plate holes on the two caps and measure from a reference point, left to right. Bingo. You got it lined up.

Attachment 5515

2. Check the ribs on the bottom side of the location where the nut plates will go. Several will be fluted. Mark the center point of those nut plates, remove the rib cap, then use the rivet squeezer to flatten the locations where the nut plates will go.

Attachment 5513

Attachment 5514
    Yes and I followed it! It was when you had the first part of the build over on Supercub forum. I did use it to set the capstrip on #3. Thanks so much. That was very helpful.

I have a question now as to how to install the bottom capstrip #1. There are instruction to just install it like the top but the top was aligned with the outboard edge of the #1 rib and from the drawing, I can't tell if it's suppose to be lined up like that or centered on the double rib?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post

I have a question now as to how to install the bottom capstrip #1. There are instruction to just install it like the top but the top was aligned with the outboard edge of the #1 rib and from the drawing, I can't tell if it's suppose to be lined up like that or centered on the double rib?
    My recollection is that the bottom cap strip on Rib #1 is centered. Much later, when the trim pieces are installed to fill the gap between the lower edge of the wing and the fuselage, holes will be match drilled along that capstrip. So centering it will move it inward toward the fuselage a bit assuring enough space for drilling for the trim pieces.

Now the disclaimer: It has been two years since I put those cap strips on, so you might want to confirm with Mitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Spoke with Mitch and he agreed manual was a bit fuzzy. Here is the jist of it for other to know next time.

There is a total of 28 nut plates that go around the fuel bays (extended fuel). PRE-DRILLED are 5 on each capstrip (#1 and #3); 7 on the nose skin; 7 on the extension skin. That is 24. Then YOU HAVE TO DRILL AND INSTALL 4 MORE.

1 nut-plate goes on each corner of the fuel tank bays to attach the cover later.

The 2 on the #1 capstrip at the nose skin area and the aft end will go on the outboard side of the double rib aligned with the rivet line on #1 capstrip and NOT aligned with the other nutplates on that #1 double rib. Center the center hole on the line of nutplates going across the nose skin. I assume the reason they are not aligned with the other nutplates on this rib/capstrip is because the nose and tail ribs and installed on the OUTBOARD rib (of the double #1 double rib) and in order to get the rivets into the actual nose/tail ribs, they have to be moved to the outboard side.

1 nutplate goes on the #3 capstrip at the nose skin and is in line with the other nutplates on the #3 capstrip and the center hole is also centered with the nose skin nutplates.

1 nutplate goes on the #3 capstrip at the expansion skin and is also inline with the other nutplates on the #3 capstrip with the center hole aligned with the nutplates on the expansion skin going inboard to outboard.

Thanks for letting me know.
    I just wanted to update this and add a couple of photos. (see edited original post above). This is a very confusing area of the manual in that the Figure W59 does not show enough detail for you to figure this out (at least, I couldn't figure it out from looking at the Figure or photos).

There is no mention in the manual and the ONLY way you can even notice this is when you look at the figure and see they mention putting "7" nutplates on the #1 and there are only 5 pre-drilled. Then there is no way to see anywhere how the nose area of the #1 rib cap should be installed (or installed at all). So hopefully the next person won't have to spend 5 hours trying to figure this out.

Capstrip 1.jpgCapstrip 1-2.jpgcapstrip 1-3.jpgCapstrip 1-5.jpgcapstrip 1-6.jpgcapstrip 1-7.jpgCapstsrip 1-4.jpg

Default Re: Cap Strip Installation Rib #1 #3 and #5

I talked with Mitch yesterday and we cleared up some confusion for the EX-2 standard fuel wing build re: cap strip on #1.

See Dropbox for the latest manual updates:

Manual Updates.pdf 36.29 KB 8 mins ago

Changes made:

Clarification on wording for locating the top cap strip.
    Added Figure W57A page 172.

Per Mitch, both top and bottom strips go UNDER the false spar and leading edge skin.

I think I have the wing figured out now, on to the right wing build. When my R wing gets to this point I'll look for some leading edge skin clamps and do the skins on both wings in succession.

David

Could one of you pathfinders send me a photo or two of the number 5 rib capstrip installation... a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Thanks,
    Dewey

Dewey, check out post 10. http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...mp-Hints/page2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Could one of you pathfinders send me a photo or two of the number 5 rib capstrip installation... a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Thanks,
    Dewey
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..