Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Machined Tail Ribs Cherry Max Rivets

Default Re: Machined Tail Ribs Cherry Max Rivets

I am wondering how to get the rivet I set on the top of the aileron hangar out, it is not set properly, the madrel broke early. I just don't see any way to move the rivet back becasue it is sitting about a 1/16" from the web in the back of the aft spar. If I drill the head off.... there is not any room to puch the rivet back. I was wondering how you did it? I would appraciate any thoughts you have regarding how you manged this problem.

Thanks,
    Craig

Craig,

Yes, you notice that those cherrymax rivets will not sit with the head flush before you pull them because the backside touches the spar web. You have to pull the rivet mandrill just a little first so it will pull that away from the web in the back. Then just be sure you then push the rivet head back up against the hangar and pull it the rest of the way.

Removing one is different too since the backside of the rivet will hit the web (after drilling out the mandrel a bit at the head and using a small punch to pry off the lock washer on top). So after removing that top lock washer, use a small punch and gently push the mandrel as far as you can from the head side until it touches the web in the back. Then I take a small chisel or punch and from the backside, put the chisel against the rivet, on the side…..and knock it out by pushing it sideways. Careful not to damage the web and if you do, just sand it out.

good luck. I have to remove at least 1 on every wing it seems. Have gotten good at it regretfully!

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    I am wondering how to get the rivet I set on the top of the aileron hangar out, it is not set properly, the madrel broke early. I just don't see any way to move the rivet back becasue it is sitting about a 1/16" from the web in the back of the aft spar. If I drill the head off.... there is not any room to puch the rivet back. I was wondering how you did it? I would appraciate any thoughts you have regarding how you manged this problem.

Thanks,
    Craig
    Last edited by Daveembry; 07-05-2022 at 08:55 AM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    Craig,

Yes, you notice that those cherrymax rivets will not sit with the head flush before you pull them because the backside touches the spar web. You have to pull the rivet mandrill just a little first so it will pull that away from the web in the back. Then just be sure you then push the rivet head back up against the hangar and pull it the rest of the way.

Removing one is different too since the backside of the rivet will hit the web (after drilling out the mandrel a bit at the head and using a small punch to pry off the lock washer on top). So after removing that top lock washer, use a small punch and gently push the mandrel as far as you can from the head side until it touches the web in the back. Then I take a small chisel or punch and from the backside, put the chisel against the rivet, on the side…..and knock it out by pushing it sideways. Careful not to damage the web and if you do, just sand it out.

good luck. I have to remove at least 1 on every wing it seems. Have gotten good at it regretfully!

Hi Dave,
    Thank you for the reply. That makes sense I could not figure out how to make enough room behind the rivet to get it to go out the back, bending the back over would get you the needed room. I am going to give a a shot here in another day when I get some time.
    Thanks Again for the help and all the information you share.

Craig