Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall Insulation

Default Firewall Insulation

I was looking at my firewall insulation the other day and I'm concerned about its long term life. It is already seperating at the bottom and sides. I then saw a picture of Marcus's G3x install and his vinyl is separated outside of the main fuselage frame. I know this pad is mostly cosmetic but I don't want the vinyl laying on my avionics in a few years. I was considering switching to a soundex firewall product that aircraft spruce sells. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with that or something related?

Picture below is stolen from Marcus. Hope you don't mind, I didn't want to hijack your thread about this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Firewall Insulation

No worries

I bought some 3M Vinyl glue to re-affix it but never got around to trying it.

I really don't want to take it out. Maybe I will just get some good tape and tape it around the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    I was looking at my firewall insulation the other day and I'm concerned about its long term life. It is already seperating at the bottom and sides. I then saw a picture of Marcus's G3x install and his vinyl is separated outside of the main fuselage frame. I know this pad is mostly cosmetic but I don't want the vinyl laying on my avionics in a few years. I was considering switching to a soundex firewall product that aircraft spruce sells. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with that or something related?

Picture below is stolen from Marcus. Hope you don't mind, I didn't want to hijack your thread about this.
    Does anyone see a problem with using the soundex on the fire wall? I had some put in my Cirrus and it made a huge difference in sound and vibration. I think I might give it a try unless there is a reason not too.

Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

Gregg,

Soundex makes the firewall product so I can't see any problem in using it. However, I would be open to any suggestions.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Gregg,

Soundex makes the firewall product so I can't see any problem in using it. However, I would be open to any suggestions.

Mike
    has anyone actually used the soundex on their firewall. I'm concerned about getting the grommets in.

I used the 3/4" Soundex from Aircraft spruce (05-04357) but don't have it installed on the plane. It compresses pretty well, so I don't think it'll be a problem with the grommets.

Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    I used the 3/4" Soundex from Aircraft spruce (05-04357) but don't have it installed on the plane. It compresses pretty well, so I don't think it'll be a problem with the grommets.

Gregg
    Soundex recommend their 5/8 firewall but they said it wouldn't compress much.

Quote Originally Posted by lbell View Post
    Soundex recommend their 5/8 firewall but they said it wouldn't compress much.
    I just squeezed it and it seems to compress really well. I'm able to squish my 3/4" foam with attached vinyl between my fingers down to 1/4" at most. The 5/8 would be a better choice, I didn't know it was available.

Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    I just squeezed it and it seems to compress really well. I'm able to squish my 3/4" foam with attached vinyl between my fingers down to 1/4" at most. The 5/8 would be a better choice, I didn't know it was available.

Gregg
    it needs to squeeze virtually flat or you may have spacing issues and problems with the grommets. I suspect that is why CC used the material they did.