Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbon Cub makeover: the Ultimate Amphib

Default Re: Carbon Cub makeover: the Ultimate Amphib

Randy
    Aluminum doesn't crack as easily as fiberglass or carbon fiber.
    Hope you get it fixed.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Update: 4/16/2015

I am writing this update from Yakima rather than on the road somewhere. Why? When buttoning the plane up late yesterday we discovered some cracks in the gelcoat of the prop...

Attachment 3858

We quickly got in touch with Whirl Wind and they concluded that the cracks would likely propagate into the carbon fiber structure at some point, no way to predict when, and it therefore wasn't safe to fly. Mission scrubbed, darn!! Frankly I'd much rather know this now though than find out over the mountains so maybe this is a good thing.

I know there were many folks anxious to take a look at this bird at Sun-N-Fun, and we had a number of demo and press flights already scheduled as well, but safe operation must trump all such plans as I'm sure everyone would agree. I had my O2 system ready and was hoping to see some pretty spectacular groundspeeds by flying high and using the extra speed that this prop provided. I guess that will have to wait.

As yesterday wore on we got to thinking, as often happens around here, and we have hatched an alternate plan for SnF. We had an announcement scheduled for several weeks down the road and we've decided to move it up to Snf. So, stay tuned!
    Looks like the prop eater is at it again! Any thoughts on using this prop on the CC340 engine?
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    Looks like the prop eater is at it again! Any thoughts on using this prop on the CC340 engine?
    As time allows we will be studying c/s prop options for the CC340 from at least a couple of vendors. This would obviously be for the EX only. In fact we might put a CC340 back on this plane just for that purpose.

The forward governor is what you need for a Carbon Cub installation and for that you need a different case. We're on it as time allows. ;-)
    Randy Lervold