Thread: VFR route Chicago Shoreline

Default VFR route Chicago Shoreline

I am planning on flying the VFR route up the Chicago Shoreline I have a couple question for anyone that knows, is there a freq. listed that you can talk to others that are also flying the shoreline, also is there a North bound altitude and a South bound altitude? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    EV

Default Re: VFR route Chicago Shoreline

I took delivery of my Carbon Cub last year at Oshkosh and flew it home to Kentucky. As you can see from the pictures I flew the Chicago coastline. I stayed below Class B airspace and monitored approach. Without looking I think the floor of Class B is 3000 ft along the coastline. I was surprised how little VFR traffic there was in the immediate vicinity of Chicago. I think I came through at 1500ft.

David Morris
    Carbon Cub #275
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davidmorris; 07-21-2014 at 06:31 PM.

I flew it southbound last year after Oshkosh, 1500 ft., below the Chicago Class B, and monitored Chicago Approach (I think the freq is on the Chicago chart).

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    I am planning on flying the VFR route up the Chicago Shoreline I have a couple question for anyone that knows, is there a freq. listed that you can talk to others that are also flying the shoreline, also is there a North bound altitude and a South bound altitude? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    EV
    I too fly 1,500 - 2,500 up or down the shoreline under the Class B once and awhile. Don't know of any common air to air frequency. VFR following available if you desire 120.55 North of ORD & 119.0 South of ORD. No real specific N/S altitudes.
    Transponder operating in Mode C needs to be on. Just have to check for TFRs on occasions...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Y; 07-21-2014 at 06:32 PM.
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Quote Originally Posted by davidmorris View Post
    I took delivery of my Carbon Cub last year at Oshkosh and flew it home to Kentucky. As you can see from the pictures I flew the Chicago coastline. I stayed below Class C airspace and monitored approach. Without looking I think the floor of Class C is 3000 ft along the coastline. I was surprised how little VFR traffic there was in the immediate vicinity of Chicago. I think I came through at 1500ft.

David Morris
    Carbon Cub #275
    I said Class C twice in this post. I've been flying in and through this airspace for 30+ years. Think I'd know better by now. Anyway, I highly recommend this route. As you can see from the pic's it's absolutely beautiful.

EV, 122.75 is the GA fixed wing air-to-air frequency listed in AIM. Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the info.
    EV