Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S2 Exhaust Bracket Bolts Worn Again

Default S2 Exhaust Bracket Bolts Worn Again

With 320 hours on my S2, I have found that the two exhaust bracket bolts are still wearing out. Replaced them at last years annual and have to replace them again. Jon

Default Re: S2 Exhaust Bracket Bolts Worn Again

I believe the inspection form calls for removing, inspecting and or replacing the attaching bolts on the 100hr/condition inspection. There are a later revision exhaust bracket that has tighter holes for the bolts that tends to wear a little better but the bolts are still a wear item. Give us a call for details.

Pete D.

I have had the same problem. Replaced at my last annual. One was broken off, and the rest almost worn through.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    I have had the same problem. Replaced at my last annual. One was broken off, and the rest almost worn through.
    Also look at the exhaust tube under the bracket. One of mine is showing signs of wear from the bracket. Jon

DSC_6904.jpgEngine-exhaust-bolts.jpg

These are recent pictures. The bolt has only 70 hours on it and you can see it is almost 1/2 way through, as well as lots of wear from the spring.

Pete/Jason et. al. is there some way to sheath the bolt? a teflon sleeve or something? The bracket holes appear to have plenty of clearance, I'm not so sure about the springs though.

Just purchased a dozen bolts - will probably start inspecting at every oil change.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

There were some early brackets that have larger holes than needed, those ones tend to wear out the bolts a little faster. I think I mentioned that when we talked on the phone? The older version has a 1/4" hole, the newer ones are closer to (but slightly larger than) 3/16"

Pete D.

sooo... I have to buy new brackets from you? To fix this problem...
    I don't remember you mentioning anything about the hole size, just the engine mounts which do look like they are sagging some.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

DSC_6916.jpg

Here is a picture of the hole the exhaust bracket bolts were making in my cowling.
    On inspection it was just the right bolt. We removed the cowling and were going to just flip the bolt around so the head was down. When I removed the bolt it was found to be quite worn. After talking with Pete I inspected the engine mount attach fittings, and the lower exhaust bracket. The rubber bushings in the engine mounts were found to be compressed a bit, not to much to cause for replacement (next annual). In addition the lower exhaust bracket was found to have elongated holes. Has anyone else seen this?

Pete/Jason What would that lower bracket cost to replace (next annual). Also is there any plan to put a bushing in place to help prevent such excessive wear? Or some other solution?

Thanks.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    Pete/Jason What would that lower bracket cost to replace (next annual).
    I'll send you an email on this Diana.

I ordered the new brackets and installed them when I got back from Tennessee. They seem to be a much tighter fit. Hope that reduces wear. Here is a picture of the old brackets and bolts, brackets after 415 hours, bolts after only 25.

DSC_7081.jpg
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV