Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport Cub Propeller Comparison Chart

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sport Cub Propeller Comparison Chart

This chart summarizes prop data after recent flight testing on an S2 Sport Cub:
    O200PropData.jpg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Becky Teerink

Default Re: Sport Cub Propeller Comparison Chart

Thanks for finding this Jason; Is there a retrofit to go from the wood prop to the Catto? ie any more parts needed?
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    Thanks for finding this Jason; Is there a retrofit to go from the wood prop to the Catto? ie any more parts needed?
    The way I understand it is no. I'm still waiting to hear more info on any parts differences from one prop to the other.

John: I ran 48 through 52 on the plane... still configured with 26" tires. Prop pitches ran 48 for super short TO/Landing times or when I was demoing the plane with two up. 52" prop for trips...very comfortable and ran ca. 115mph... and the 50 stayed on there the remainder of the time. The airplane ran faster, and as a result cooler, burned less fuel, and seemed "happer" after the flow-match, balance, and high compression pistons. I'm convinced that 7:1 C-200 pistons just don't know what to do with 100LL. Bart has the answer. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    John: I ran 48 through 52 on the plane... still configured with 26" tires. Prop pitches ran 48 for super short TO/Landing times or when I was demoing the plane with two up. 52" prop for trips...very comfortable and ran ca. 115mph... and the 50 stayed on there the remainder of the time. The airplane ran faster, and as a result cooler, burned less fuel, and seemed "happer" after the flow-match, balance, and high compression pistons. I'm convinced that 7:1 C-200 pistons just don't know what to do with 100LL. Bart has the answer. R
    Thanks, Ralph. Very good info.

JM

For what it's worth, here's a comparison between the standard S2 wood prop and the Sensenich composite at 50 pitch. First, with the wood prop, enroute to YKM to have the prop swap done:

And the next day, with the new prop; same loading, same atmospheric conditions, same altitude ...

Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Wow, that's pretty cool Jeff! I just love controlled tests where good data is collected. Nice immediate feedback on your upgrade investment too.
    Randy Lervold

You got to remember ralph had the hot rod engine what I call a "S3" so drop two points on the pitches for standard engine like for me similar results but with 46-50 cart
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Great stuff coming to light in this thread.

I have alway thought that the wood prop, while a nice retro touch, hampered the performance of the SportCub. I did not have any empirical data to support my opinion but the wood propped SportCubs that I have flown were good looking dogs.

The ground adjustable Sensenich would be my 1st choice but the metal McCauley did OK, too.

I would like to fly a SportCub with the 48" key in the Sensenich just for grins for a comparison.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Great stuff coming to light in this thread.

I have alway thought that the wood prop, while a nice retro touch, hampered the performance of the SportCub. I did not have any empirical data to support my opinion but the wood propped SportCubs that I have flown were good looking dogs.

The ground adjustable Sensenich would be my 1st choice but the metal McCauley did OK, too.

I would like to fly a SportCub with the 48" key in the Sensenich just for grins for a comparison.

JM
    Hey John
    I have a 48 in mine Im sure I will run into you some were you can take it up.Tryed 50 ,48,46.
    I think in my plane the 48 pulls way harder than than the 50 or 46.46 felt like it just wasnt getting enough bite and would red line in a second if you werent in max climb.50 works well but doesnt have near the take off like 48.I havent taken a trip with 48 yet but it seems i will only lose a couple of knots at cruise & ? fuel burn.When you retract flaps its like somebody kicks it in the ass. My choice local flying at sealevel.
    Chuck